Also available in: French
2021 NATO Summit
NATO has kept its citizens safe for over 70 years and will continue to adapt in this decade and beyond. At the NATO Summit in Brussels on 14 June 2021, NATO Leaders took decisions on a wide range of topics to address the security challenges of today and tomorrow.
NATO Leaders discussed a wide range of issues at the 2021 Brussels Summit, including the main themes of the NATO 2030 initiative: how to reinforce the Alliance's unity, broaden its approach to security and contribute to safeguarding the rules-based international order. They took decisions to prepare NATO for the challenges of today and tomorrow, including Russia's pattern of aggressive behaviour, terrorism, cyber attacks and disruptive technologies, the rise of China, and the security implications of climate change.
The topics under discussion are complex and diverse, but at their core they addressed key questions about NATO's future:
- How does NATO continue to strengthen its collective defence in a changing security environment?
- How can NATO accelerate its adaptation when it comes to emerging and disruptive technologies?
- What more can NATO do to help Allies become more resilient to unexpected shocks?
- How can Allies invest in NATO to ensure they do more together and remain strong and united?
- How can NATO enhance cooperation with partner countries and other organisations to tackle shared security challenges?
Is NATO ready to face the challenges of the next decade? Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg launched the NATO 2030 initiative to make sure our Alliance continues to adapt to the rapidly changing world – staying strong militarily, becoming a stronger political alliance and taking a more global approach.
Watch the animations below to learn more, and check out the NATO 2030 website!
It takes a lot of work to put together a NATO summit. Like a grand opera or a magnificent ballet, everything is tightly choreographed down to the second. Check out the content below to learn more about the meticulous preparations that go on before NATO Leaders take the stage…
Why does NATO have summits? What's it like to meet with world leaders? What did NATO Heads of State and Government discuss at this year's summit? Listen to the NATO Summit Behind the Scenes podcast to learn more!
Check out the photos below to see some of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into a NATO summit – from building temporary structures around NATO Headquarters to preparing the meeting rooms for NATO Leaders.
Watch the time-lapse footage below to see the preparations at NATO Headquarters ahead of the 2021 NATO Summit in Brussels.
Do you know what happens during a NATO summit? What about how many countries were founding members of NATO? Test your knowledge with the official 2021 Brussels Summit quiz!Loading...
NATO 2030 at Brussels Forum
In parallel with the summit, NATO partnered with the German Marshall Fund of the United States to host 'NATO 2030 at Brussels Forum'. This event featured conversations with government leaders, international experts, representatives from civil society, the private sector and young professionals. They held future-oriented discussions on NATO's priorities for the next decade and beyond.
Watch the full recording on YouTube.
- Social media – join the conversation about the #NATOSummit and #NATO2030
- YouTube – watch the NATO 2030 playlist
- NATO 2030 – learn how NATO is adapting to future challenges
- NATO summits – read more about the history and purpose of NATO summit meetings
- NATO Audience Research – dig into the data about perceptions of NATO in member countries
- Media resources – click here for a detailed programme of events, more background information and factsheets, and high-quality b-roll and photos