General Steve Thull
Chief of Defence – Luxembourg
Steve Thull was born on April 23th, 1967 in Esch-sur-Alzette. In 1987 he successfully passed the selection for officer candidates, entered the Royal Military Academy in Brussels, Belgium and graduated in social and military sciences in 1991.
Promoted to Lieutenant in 1991, he was assigned to the Military Centre in Diekirch where he occupied the following positions: platoon commander (recce, anti-tank and mortar) and commander of a light reconnaissance company.
Starting in 1999, he took over various staff functions, including those of Personnel officer and Deputy Commander at the Military Center, and after 2007, those of Assistant officer to the Studies and planning officer, Personnel and public affairs officer and finally Information and communication systems officer at the General Staff of Luxembourg Armed Forces.
Between 2015 and 2020 Lieutenant-Colonel Steve Thull represented Luxembourg Armed Forces in the Consultation, Command and Control Board (C3B) of NATO and the Communication and Information Systems / Cyber Directors' Board of the European Union. He also was Luxembourg's representative in the Federated Mission Networking Management Board between 2015 and 2020.
Steve Thull participated in 1997 as Lieutenant in the NATO IFOR operation in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in 2008 as Lieutenant-Colonel in the EUFOR operation in Chad and the Central African Republic.
As of September 29th, 2020 he was entrusted with the function of Chief of Defence and was promoted to General.
During his career, he has improved his training and education at the following schools:
- 1991 : Military engineering School in Jambes, Belgium – Engineer platoon leader course;
- 1992-1993 : Infantry School in Montpellier, France – Infantry platoon leader course;
- 1997 : Infantry School in Arlon, Belgium – Company commander course;
- 1999-2000 : Staff College in Compiègne, France – Staff officer course;
- 2006-2007 : War College in Paris, France – Higher military education;
- 2010: Harvard Kennedy School in Boston (USA) – Course "Senior Executives in National and International Security"
Steve Thull is married and father of three children.
General Steve Thull holds the following decorations:
- Cross of Honor and military Merit in bronze;
- Knight of the Order of Merit;
- Cross for 15 years of service;
- Knight of the Order of civil and military Merit of Adolphe de Nassau;
- Officer of the « Ordre de la Couronne de Chêne »;
- Medal for missions or operations abroad;
- Knight of the order of civil am military Merit;
- Commander of the Order of Merit;
- Cross for 25 years of service.
- Officer of the « Ordre d'Orange Nassau » (NLD);
- Commemorative Medal for missions or operations abroad (BEL);
- ESDP Service Medal – « EUFOR Chad/CAR »;
- NATO Medal for service with NATO on operations in relation to the Former Yugoslavia.