Summit meeting of NATO Heads of State and Government
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom - 4-5 September 2014
- The United Kingdom will host the NATO Summit of Heads of State and Government in Newport, Wales, on 4-5 September 2014. The NATO Secretary General will chair the meetings.
- This advisory provides information about accreditation for media representatives. Additional details about the Summit media arrangements will be released as they become available via a media fact sheet to be found here and in further media advisories as necessary.
- The meetings will take place at the Celtic Manor Resort, Newport, in Wales. The Media Centre will be located in the grounds of Celtic Manor. The Media Centre will first open between 12.00 and 23.30 on Wednesday 3 September. It will then be open at 05:00 on Thursday 4 September and operate 24/7 until 23:45 on Friday 5 September.
- Media Accreditation is now open. Applications must be made online here: https://my.hq.nato.int/. Accreditation is free of charge.
- Applications for accreditation must be made no later than 12:00 on Monday 4 August 2014. All media need to make an accreditation request, including media with permanent NATO accreditation.
- The UK and NATO authorities will review applications and send you a confirmation email on the outcome of your application within three weeks. Media representatives who have submitted their request for accreditation via the internet are encouraged to bring a print-out of the request confirmation.
- Media passes will not be posted to applicants; they must be collected in person at the Media Accreditation Office which will be situated in the Newport area near to the Summit site and open from Monday 1 September. We will confirm the exact location closer to the time of the Summit. Media who have successfully accredited will be able to collect their accreditation passes upon presentation of a valid photo identity card or passport.
- Accreditation passes must be worn visibly at all times, and security personnel may ask to see another form of ID at any time. Security personnel will examine and may test equipment and personal effects carried onto the site. Media are advised to arrive with sufficient lead time to clear security checks.
- In accordance with NATO media accreditation procedures, NATO reserves the right to deny or withdraw accreditation of media representatives from media organisations who abuse the privileges so extended or put the accreditation to improper use or act in a way not consistent with the principles of the organisation.
- All journalists requiring visas for the UK will be responsible for ensuring that they have the appropriate visa to enter the country. Please ensure that you apply for visas in good time. Further details are available on the UK visa and immigration website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration.
- Media are encouraged to make early arrangements for their accommodation in Wales. You can find details of booking procedures and arrangements for designated media hotels and a link to the booking site on the media operations section of the UK Government NATO Summit webpages at: https://www.gov.uk/nato-summit-wales-2014-operational-information-for-media
- There will be regular shuttle transport between pick up points in Newport and Cardiff (close to the designated media hotels) and the Media Centre. Details will be released closer to the Summit.
Preliminary information on the media programme
- The programme of the Summit is not yet finalised. In order to guide media travel plans, NATO is currently working on a tentative programme that would see the Summit’s formal opening around lunch time on Thursday 4 September, and its end around mid-afternoon on Friday 5 September 2014. Events may take place in the margins of the morning of 4 September. There may also be themed local visit opportunities for media on the afternoon of 3 September. We will confirm details in due course.
- Coverage of airport arrivals of leaders: The UK Summit Media Office will organise Host Broadcaster coverage of the arrival in the United Kingdom of the Secretary General and of some Alliance leaders; details will be made available closer to the date of the Summit.
Basic information about the media centre
- The Media Centre is the central distribution point for Summit information and material. We will issue further details on the Media Centre in due course, but it will include:
- A filing centre including free internet and large television screens retransmitting main media events.
- Working areas for broadcasters including broadcast live feed at a limited number of work stations and transmission services.
- TV and Radio edit booths, stand up positions and lockers will be available to purchase via a rate card (details below).
- An area for delegation press conferences including pre-cabled facilities and interview areas;
- An area where media can obtain information including about Wales, Summit issues, public diplomacy events scheduled in the margins of the official programme and transport.
- Food / drink will be available to purchase on site. We encourage media to take advantage of discounted rates and purchase tokens for hot meals and grab bags in advance of the Summit via the rate card (details below);
- Security checks of media belongings: Security personnel will have full authority to examine and test any equipment and any other items brought by media to any secured site including the Media Centre. Media are advised to plan enough time to allow for security checks each time they plan to enter the grounds.
- Any large amount of equipment that media would wish to install in the Media Centre should be put into place between 12.00 and 23.30 on 3 September. Further details on this will follow.
Rate card services
- The rate card available at http://nato.contact-media.co.uk/ details technical and other services available to purchase. Media are able to register their interest in these services on this site and an online booking system will be available shortly. Early booking for services is encouraged. Any technical services booked online from 1 August onwards will be subject to availability and a 15% surcharge.
- Wider information on the Summit is available on the NATO website and the UK Government NATO Summit webpages at https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/nato-summit-wales-cymru-2014
NATO Media Coordinator’s Office
Mr. Damien ARNAUD
UK Taskforce Media Logistics
Miss. Charley WILLIAMS
Head of Media Logisitics
UK Taskforce team: +44.207 008 3775 / 3740 / 4646 / 6828 /3076
Contact details for press officers with delegations at the Summit will be made available in Wales at the NATO Media Accreditation Office. Prior to that time, media should contact the national delegation at NATO Headquarters in Brussels for information as appropriate. Central switchboard: +32.2.707.4111.