1. THE NATO CODIFICATION SYSTEM:
1.4. BENEFITS OF
THE NATO CODIFICATION SYSTEM:
1.4.1. OPERATIONAL ADVANTAGES
- Enhanced opportunities for standardisation, by recording and revealing the unique characteristics of Items of Supply in user nations supply systems, allowing parts from a number of weapons systems to be used efficiently and effectively.
- The NCS provides access to the full range of information on all Items of Supply in the inventories of user nations. This allows users to pool resources and share the burden in regard to the acquisition of spare parts and the maintenance of common equipment. During operational deployment the NCS also facilitates minimisation of the supply requirement in terms of spares and consumables.
- An accurate description of the IoS permits users to readily identify spares and or substitute Items of Supply which meet the requirement for a given weapon system thus reducing downtime and supporting force multiplication.
- The use of a common supply language understood by all users simplifies the technical dialogue between participating nations and other users.
- The use of computer technology allows the recording, processing and transmittal of IoS identification data and related management support data in an efficient and user friendly manner.