Print version

Main News Summary
Saturday, 19 June 2004

Topic

Source

Title

Narrative

SFOR

Dnevni avaz

Packet and Hadzipasic opened two bridges in Velika Kladusa

By cutting the ribbon, Virgil Packet, the Commander of SFOR, and Ahmet Hadzipasic, The Prime-Minister of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, opened yesterday two bridges in Velika Kladusa. The Directorate of Roads of the FBIH and SFOR provided KM 800,000 for the construction of these two bridges /The same in Oslobodjenje (p.2), Nezavisne Novine (p.9), Dnevni List (p.5), Jutarnje Novine (p.4)/.

SFOR

Oslobodjenje

Dutch soldier seriously injured

Member of the Dutch contingent of SFOR, Mathysse Paulius, born in 1984, sustained serious injuries when electrocuted by 25,000 volt on Friday, at 15:30 hours, at the Zenica rail station. He was, together with his colleagues, carrying out construction works on some facility, lost his balance and fell. As he was falling down, he touched with his body the electrical network. At 17:50 hours, he was transported to the Tuzla University Hospital and needs an emergency brain surgery /The same in Nezavisne Novine (p. 3)/.

SFOR

Glas Srpske

Milovan Bjelica about his detention

Five days after his release from SFOR base, Milovan Bjelica decided to talk about his detention. Bjelica was arrested on May 14 in Sokolac and suspected for supporting the war criminals. "That morning I was on my way to see my mother. In one store, a man with a gun pointed at me said: "SFOR, surrender yourself." They put me down on the ground and handcuffed me. There were several armed men. . . . . . They drove to some location. I still do not know where I was. I did receive a medical checkup. They put me in some room with lights turned on all the time, so I could not tell day from night. Nobody mistreated me physically. I had enough food, regular medical supervision, and good conditions for personal hygiene. The investigators were professional. I had some health problems, couldn't sleep, I was worried for my family. They asked me about organized crime, public enterprises I wasn't related to, about the SDS, Serbian Orthodox Church, ministries, Radovan Karadzic, The Tribunal in Hague. They were showing me some photographs, asked me about people on them. I was twice visited by the International Committee of the Red Cross", said Milovan Bjelica.

SFOR

Glas Srpske

SFOR soldiers helped Mileva Misurac - New friendship

Last week, the truck hit Mileva Misurac. The first ones to help the helpless women were two Canadian members of SFOR. Two other SFOR members, one of whom was from Chile, soon joined the Canadians. Instead of waiting for an ambulance, CPT McCarty put Mileva in his own car and drove her to hospital. Mileva is feeling well now and hopes to go home soon. She is also hoping that CPT Charles McCarty will pay her a visit

SFOR

Oslobodjenje

Routine control or search for war criminals?

Responding to media assertions that SFOR has intensified their search for war criminals in the border area with Monte Negro, Mark Hope, SFOR spokesperson, said on Friday that those are just regular SFOR activities: "Those are our normal routine patrols, which we carry out throughout the whole country. It is coincidence that this time we are in the area close to Monte Negro."

SFOR

Dnevni avaz

Spanish and French soldiers looking for Karadzic

As of Monday, SFOR members are intensively searching border area with Monte Negro. As media from Monte Negro informed, the goal of these activities is to arrest Radovan Karadzic. "Members of French and Spanish contingents of SFOR and the State Border Service of Bosnia and Herzegovina have blocked all roads. According to our information, their goals are illegal drug smuggling and border crossing", said the source from the Monte Negro Ministry of the Internal Affairs. The same source also said that SFOR patrols crossed the border and entered the Monte Negro territory on several occasions. Mark Hope, SFOR spokesperson, said that Stabilization Forces are carrying out regular patrolling activities, that are no different that any previous ones. He also said that SFOR has no mandate to cross the border without specific authority /The same in Nezavisne Novine (p. 2)/.

BIH - PARLIAMENT

Dnevni avaz

Parliamentarians from the Republika Srpska oppose to appointment of Sifet Podzic

The parliamentarians of the House of Representatives of the Parliament of Bosnia and Herzegovina did not approve the appointments for general positions in the Armed Forces of Bosnia and Herzegovina, proposed by the BiH Presidency. The parliamentarians from the Republika Srpska wanted to vote and approve the appointments of each candidate individually, instead of voting on the whole list of candidates. It was obvious that they opposed the appointment of Sifet Podzic to the positions of the CoS at the Joint Staff of Bosnia and Herzegovina. They decided to postpone this until the next session /The same in Oslobodjenje (p. 9), Vecernji List (p.2)

POLICE/SBS

Nezavisne Novine

Two police officers suspended for finding the records of the RS police from the wartime

Darko Culum and Sasa Misic, two police officers from Banja Luka, were suspended in the last two days, after the wartime records were found in the basement of the Police Station II in Banja Luka. These sudden suspensions are directly linked with wartime archive of the RS Police that was found recently in the Police Station in Lazarevo/Budzak. According to our information, Darko Culum was the one who found these records in the basement, and Sasa Misic was the one helping in locating those boxes. According to our source, one high-positioned official of the RS Ministry of the Internal Affairs held the key to this basement.

SREBRENICA

Dnevni avaz

The Republika Srpska should carry the responsibility for the Report on Srebrenica

"The European Commission is not involved in the process of admission of Bosnia and Herzegovina to the Partnership for Peace. With no cooperation regarding the arrest of Radovan Karadzic, Bosnia and Herzegovina will most likely not be admitted to the PfP. That is the decision that NATO will have to make. Lord Paddy Ashdown was very clear: The RS must carry the responsibility for the Report on Srebrenica. It does not mean that all people of the RS committed the crime, but only certain individuals", said Patrick Rock, Advisor to Chris Patten, the EU Commissioner for Foreign Affairs.

TERRORISM

Dnevni avaz

Miletic making up terrorists in Mostar

SDA responded yesterday to statement made by Zlatko Miletic, Director of Police of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, about possible terrorist attacks during the opening ceremony of the Old Bridge in Mostar: "Miletic did not help with his statement, but only created a confusion. If somebody is really planning attacks, why did he speak publicly about it? By doing this, he warned the terrorists, and also sent out a wrong message to distinguished international guests who were planning on coming to Mostar to attend the ceremony. It is now possible that some of them will cancel their arrivals", said Bakir Izetbegovic, the SDA Vice-President.

TERRORISM

Dnevni avaz

SIPA has no information about terrorist attacks

State Information and Protection Agency of Bosnia and Herzegovina has no specific information on possible terrorist attacks planned for opening ceremony of the Old Bridge in Mostar, as some media informed about, referring to warnings by German intelligence and statement made by Zlatko Miletic, Director of Police of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. "I do not have specific information. In order to comment that, I should have reliable information", said Sredoje Novic, Director of the SIPA (Jutarnje Novine (p.2), Slobodna Dalmacija (p.15).

TERRORISM

Nezavisne Novine

SFOR and SIPA have no information about possible attacks in Mostar

"SFOR has no information about any terrorist activities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which includes information on planned attacks during the opening ceremony of the Old Bridge in Mostar. We have no information implying terrorist attacks in Mostar. We shall take all necessary measures in order to help the global combat against terrorism. Of course, the event in Mostar is a specific situation, but I believe that local agencies in charge of security will take measures in order for everything to go well", said Mark Hope, SFOR spokesperson. Sredoje Novic, director of the State Information and Protection Agency also said that this agency has no specific information on possible terrorist attacks planned for the opening ceremony in Mostar/The same in Jutarnje Novine (p.2), Slobodna Dalmacija (p.15)/.

Back to Media Summary

Please Note
The portions of articles in this report are summaries from the originals. They have been derived and translated from available open source, newspapers, periodicals, TV and radio broadcasts. They reflect the opinion of the particular media or the media's sources. The use of articles and quotations does not necessarily reflect SFOR's official opinions or policy, nor are they official endorsements of any kind. Any offence is not intentional. The primary objective is to make available a variety of regional media summaries.

Produced by: PEACE STABILISATION FORCE; PIO MEDIA ANALYSIS, SARAJEVO
NOTE: Your feedback is always appreciated; please contact us at
cpic_analysis@sfor.nato.int