Updated: 8 November 1999 KFOR Press Updates


7 Nov. 1999

KFOR Press Update

by Major Ole Irgens, KFOR Spokesman

KFOR is currently investigating the terrorist attack on the railroad bridge in Mitrovica, Multinational Brigade North, Friday night. The initial report concludes that an amount of 40 to 50 kilos of explosives was used, and that the bridge only suffered limited damage. The full report on the bridge damage will be ready in a couple of days. As for now, the bridge remains closed for railway traffic. Yesterday, the passengers from the train stopped by the explosion Friday were transported safely in buses to their destinations. KFOR, in co-operation with UNHCR, are planning to provide alternate transport by bus until the bridge has been reopened.

Yesterday between 09:30 hrs and 11:45 hrs, three Kosovo Albanian men, including one wearing camouflage uniform fired several shots towards a house located in the southern parts of Gornij Strmac, 10 km west of Mitrovica. One Serb man was wounded in his arm and evacuated to Zubin Potok, where he received medical treatment and then transferred to the civilian hospital in Mitrovica. UNMIK Police are investigating the incident.

Two grenade attacks against Roma houses occurred yesterday morning and Friday afternoon; one west of Lebane and one in Mali Alas, Multinational Brigade Centre. A Roma woman was slightly injured in one of the attacks. UNMIK Police is currently investigating the attacks.

Yesterday evening in a KFOR vehicle checkpoint in Istok, Multinational Brigade West, a car was stopped with three persons on board, and one pistol confiscated. The persons were identified and released. Two of the men were members of the provisional KPC, and their ID cards were confiscated.

One pistol, some ammunitions, rounds, two portable and one vehicle radio sets and some NBC material was found north 4 km north of Pec by a KFOR patrol. In other KFOR operations yesterday, two additional pistols were confiscated.

A body was found two km south of Decane yesterday morning at 07:45 hrs. A KFOR Mortuary Assistant Team has reported that the man probably is a Roma between 40 and 50 years old, shot during the last 24 hours.

At 13:10 hrs, yesterday in Multinational Brigade East, KFOR troops fired warning shots at a car that tried to evade a checkpoint and attempted to flee. KFOR soldiers pursued the car, which subsequently stopped. Three Kosovo Albanian men who were in the car were detained at the scene and the fourth passenger fled. No one was injured.
A Serb owned shop in Urosevac was set on fire yesterday at 13:45. Investigations are ongoing.

In Gnjilane yesterday, a Kosovo Albanian man was kidnapped yesterday, allegedly by four other Kosovo Albanian men. The perpetrators were seen escaping in a grey car.

Go to Homepage Go to Index