18 June 1999
It is agreed by the Secretary of Defense of the United States and the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation:
on Russian Participation in KFOR
- To accept the Agreed Principles attached (attachment
#1) as the basis for Russian participation in the international
peacekeeping force (KFOR) in full compliance with UNSC Resolution 1244.
- To provide for participation of one to two Russian battalions operating
in Kosovska Kamenica in the US sector according to the attached command
and control model (attachment #2). A Russian
officer will serve as the Representative to the Sector Commander for
- Additionally, the US will recommend that NATO agree
that Russian forces also participate in the KFOR forces
deployed in the German and French sectors, also according
to the command and control model (attachment
#2), specifically that Russia provide one to two
battalions to be part of the KFOR force in the German
sector, to operate in the area
near Malisevo, and one battalion to the KFOR force in
the French sector, to operate in the area near Lausa
both areas as shown on the attached map (attachment
#3). A German company and a French company will
also operate in the Malisevo and Lausa areas respectively.
Russian officers will serve as Representatives for Russian
Forces to the sector commanders in the German and French
- The total Russian deployment in Kosovo will not exceed five battalions
with a total strength not exceeding 2850 troops, plus up to 750 troops
for the airfield and logistics base operation combined, plus 16 liaison
officers. The level of Russian participation will be reduced in proportion
to reductions in the overall size of KFOR.
- To resolve the Pristina (Slatina) airfield issues on the basis of
the allocation of responsibilities described in attachments
#4 and #5. All KFOR participants will
have access to the airfield, under procedures to be established by KFOR.
Details to be determined by Commander, KFOR in consultation with Russian
- That Russia will have the right to establish a logistics base with
an appropriate site security in the vicinity of the town of Kosovo Polje,
as agreed with COMKFOR, to support Russian forces in KFOR.
- To send a Russian military representative to SHAPE and to augment
his staff and expand his responsibilities to include Russian participation
in KFOR, and to establish liaison and planning cells at AFSOUTH and
KFOR as rapidly as possible in accordance with attachment
- To convene consultations as soon as possible to develop details for
implementation of these agreements.
- That these points, including determination on which sector the Russians
will participate in, will be confirmed by the NAC for NATO and by the
Government of the Russian Federation. The scheme of deployment of the
Russian of KFOR may be reviewed and adjusted in the light of the prevailing
circumstances by mutual agreement of the confirming parties, keeping
in mind all aspects of a continued, appropriate Russian presence.
- All command arrangements will preserve the principle of unity of command.
It is understood that the Russian contingent in Kosovo will be under
the political and military control of the Russian Command.
For the Department of Defense of the United States of America
For the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation