News > 2012
VII Seminar on Armed Forces and Media
Retamares 28 November 2012
On 28 November Force Command Madrid Public Affairs personnel attended the seminar “VII Seminario Fuerzas Armadas y Medios de Comunicación: La información de la Defensa en tiempos convulsos" organized by the Instituto de Cuestiones Internacionales y Política Exterior (INCIPE), a non-profit private cultural Foundation recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Culture.
Its main objective is to conduct investigations and debates on the problems of Spanish foreign policy and contemporary international relations. The Foundation maintains an independent position from any political party or interest group, and involves in its activities collaborators and experts stemming from distinct professional and political perspectives.
After the opening words by Vicente Garrido, INCIPE Director, and BG Miguel Angel Ballesteros from the Instituto de Estudios Estratégicos (IEEE), the seminar continued with the intervention of the participants divided in two sequential panels; the first was titled “Communication of Defence and the defence of communication” being the second “Informers facing armed conflicts”. The selection of participants has taken into consideration the need to ensure the presence of high profile representatives from different areas.
The first panel was moderated by BG Ballesteros. Speakers:
- Darío Valcárcel, Director of Política Exterior, an international affairs review, was one of the founding members of El País, of which he was deputy director. He writes a column on international politics for Spanish daily ABC.
- Rafael Calduch, Doctor in Political and Economic Sciences, Section Policies, for the University
Complutense of Madrid and Director of the Master in International Relations and Communication.
- Hernán Rodrigo Zin, journalist, writer and documentary maker. Graduate in International Relations.
- Pilar Requena, journalist involved in International news services. At present, she works as editor for TVE's program “En Portada” and also teaches International Relations at the Complutense University.
The second panel was moderated by Mr Luis Solana, lawyer, former politician, president of Graminsa and Vice-president of INCIPE. Speakers:
After the lectures the debate was followed by the active participation of attendees, especially International Relations students from the University Rey Juan Carlos (Madrid). FCMD PAO’s interest in participating this type of events follows NATO policy which recognizes the importance of the media in order to disseminate the Organization messages in a truthful, accurate and timely manner, and contribute to upholding NATO’s credibility.
- Ltc Jesús Díez, IEEE member and ex PIO in UNIFIL.
- Felipe Maraña Marcos (Felipe Sahagún), Doctor in Information Sciences specialized in international policy; teaches International Relations at the Complutense University.
- Emilio Morenatti, photo journalist with a vast experience in disasters, wars and situations of conflict. Associated Press Photo director for Spain and Portugal.