The Defence Planning Committee of the North Atlantic
Treaty Organisation met in Ministerial Session in Brussels
on 25th March, 1977, to discuss a co-operative programme
to achieve a NATO Airborne Early Warning capability.
- Ministers re-affirmed their support for the programme,
and decided, subject to approval by competent authorities,
- an AWACS early warning system will be established;
- details of nationally suitable cost sharing and some
other still open questions will be worked out rapidly;
- governments will take all possible steps to establish
an agreed co-operative programme by 1st July, 1977.
- The United Kingdom Defence Minister, while endorsing
fully the importance of the provision of an Airborne Early
Warning System for the Alliance as a whole on the basis of
collective decision and common funding, reserves the
position of his Government as to the best way in which his
Government could make its contribution.