Military Representative – Iceland
Born 17 April 1953
- Graduate of Isafjörður College 1975
- Graduate of the Norwegian Army’s Non-commissioned Officers School in Trondheim 1976.
- Graduate of the Royal Norwegian Military Academy, Oslo 1977-1980 as B. Sc.
- Various courses in anti-terrorism, IEOD´s etc. in Norway and the United Kingdom.
- Sergeant, squad leader/Recce platoon/2/Bn. Northern Norway 1976-1977.
- Commission Norwegian Army 1 May 1980 following graduation from Royal Military Academy.
- Lieutenant, Instructor at the School for non-commissioned Officers in South-Norway 1980.
- Service in NORBATT IV/UNIFIL Operations Center (UN PeaceKeeping Force) 1980-1981.
- Service in Bn and Bde operational level 1981-1982.
- Service with the Planning and Operations Department of the Defence command of North-Norway 1982.
- Deputy Chief Superintendent with the Reykjavik Police 1982-1985 as Chief Instructor and CO for the “Viking-team” anti-terrorist unit.
- Appointment to the Defence Department of the Icelandic Ministry of foreign Affairs 1985.
- Seconded to Plans and Policy Division International Military Staff, NATO Headquarters, Brussels 1986 – 1989.
- Defence Counselor, Defence Department, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, 1989 – 1994 as Counselor (Defence).
- Assigned to the Icelandic Embassy, Washington 1994 – 1998 as Counselor (Defence).
- Assigned to the Icelandic Delegation to the North Atlantic Council on 1 July 1998, as Defence Advisor and Representative to the Military Committee.
- Promoted to Minister-Counselor in January 1999.
- Appointed to the Political Affairs Department, MFA 2002.
- Appointed Director of the Iceland Crisis Response Unit, February 2004.
- Appointed Director Strategic Planning, January 2007.
- Appointed Minister and National Representative to the SHAPE NMR Echelon including JFC Brunssum, and US EUCOM, Stuttgart, from July 2008.
- Appointed as National Representative to NATO’s Military Committee from September 2010 (in addition to SHAPE duties).
- Appointed Director Security and Defense Department, MFA - CHOD from 1 August 2014.
Married to Gudrun Matthiasdóttir, two children.