Conference and Seminar on Lessons Learned from Operations and Exercises Conducted by the EADRCC
Since 2004, when the EADRCC together with Croatia organized a conference and seminar on the lessons learned from operations and exercises, the Centre has coordinated assistance from NATO and partner nations in 40 emergencies. In addition, 9 major field exercises have been conducted with participation from a large number of countries.
In order to take stock of all lessons learned during these operations and exercises, the EADRCC will organize, in cooperation with the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia¹, a three-day conference and seminar on “Lessons Learned from Operations and Exercises Conducted by the EADRCC”.
The Conference and Seminar will take place from 15 to 17 October 2013 in Ohrid. The event will be conducted in NATO/EAPC UNCLASSIFIED format and is open to Mediterranean Dialogue, Istanbul Cooperation Initiative countries, Afghanistan, Australia, Iraq, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mongolia, New Zealand and Pakistan.
The objectives of the conference and seminar are to:
- evaluate national experience and lessons identified during NATO humanitarian operations and consequence management exercises conducted by the EADRCC, from 2004 to 2013;
- assess to which extent the lessons identified / learned have improved the ability of Allied and partner nations to provide and receive international assistance; and for the EADRCC to coordinate such assistance;
- update the “Checklist and Non-Binding Guidelines for the Request, Reception and Provision of International Assistance in the Event of a CBRN Incident or Natural Disaster”;
- identify further improvements to NATO’s role in humanitarian operations;
- update the “Guidelines for Planning, Conduct and Assessment of International EAPC Exercises”;
- foster implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the Facilitation of Vital Civil Cross Border Transport , and the Budapest Guidelines II.
The conference and seminar will be conducted both in plenary sessions, focusing on the wider subject of lessons learned from EADRCC operations and exercises, and up to six (out of eight proposed) parallel seminar sessions. At the start of each seminar session, the subject will be introduced by a facilitator to be followed by an in-depth group discussion. The results of the discussions of each seminar will be reviewed during the plenary session to be held on the last day of the conference.
The closing date for registration and reservations is Friday 6 September 2013. Hotel Inex Gorica and Hotel Granit cannot guarantee the availability of rooms at the conference rates after the closing date.
Every participant has to pay a conference fee to the Host Nation in cash, 3100 Denars or 50 Euros to cover organisational costs. (An exchange into local currency Denar (MKD) is possible at the hotels. The exchange rate is 1 EUR to approximately 62 MKD. See also http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/).
The draft agenda, the registration forms for the conference and the hotel reservation form are attached