24 Feb. 1998
Foreign Affairs of Spain
- Minister of Foreign Affairs since May 6, 1996.
- Born in Ibiza on October 31, 1941.
- Married and father of four children.
- A Law and Economic graduate and professor of Public Finance, Mr. Matutes is also a member of the Economics and Finance Academy. Emeritus professor at the University of Santiago de Chile and of the Complutense University of Madrid. Member of the Honor Committee of the Royal Institute for European Studies. Honorary member of the Filipino Academy of Spanish Language.
- As a business man, he has been involved in tourism, aviation,
biotechnology and banking companies. Deputy chairman of the Ibiza and Formentera Tourism Employers Organisation.
- Mayor of Ibiza (1970-1971). Founder Chairman of the Balaerics "s' Uni Liberal" Party. He was also deputy chairman of Alianza Popular and is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the Partido Popular. Senator for Ibiza and Formentera (1977-1982) and member of the Spanish Parliament (1982-1985).
- Member of the EC Commission where he was in charge of the following departments: Credit and Investment; Financial Engineering and Policy for Small and Medium Enterprises; North-South relations; Mediterranean Policy and Relations with Latin America and Asia (1989); Transportation, Energy and the Supply Agency for Euratom (1993).
- Member of the European Parliament and spokesman for the Partido Popular at the European Parliament since 1994.