Major General Alan Geder was born on 21 August 1958 in Lendava. In 1988, he joined the Territorial Defence of the Republic of Slovenia. He was a member of the Manoeuvre Structure of National Defence (MSNZ). In 1991, he actively participated in the War for Slovenia as a commanding officer during the engagements in the area of Gederovci and Gornja Radgona.
- 1980-1984: Faculty of Sport, Ljubljana;
- Since 1988 he has completed several training courses at the battalion and brigade levels both at home and abroad;
- 2004 - 2005: Army War College, USA.
Career in the Slovenian Armed Forces (SAF):
- 1988-1991: Commander, Territorial Defence Municipal HQ, Gornja Radgona;
- 1991-1992: Deputy Commander and Executive Officer, Territorial Defence District HQ, Murska Sobota;
- 1992-1995: Commander, 74th Armoured Mechanised Battalion;
- 1995-1999: Commander, 4th Regional Command, Postojna;
- 1999: Commander, 82nd SAF Brigade;
- 1999-2003: Chief of Staff, 3rd Operational Command, Celje;
2003-2005: Chief, G-3, SAF Force Command;
- 2005-2006: Chief INFO OPS, ALTHEA, BiH;
- 2005-2006: Deputy Commander, Doctrine and Development Centre;
- 2006: Deputy Commander, SAF Force Command;
- since 1 December 2006-2010: Commander, SAF Force Command;
- since 15 July 2010: Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Slovenian Armed Forces.
In May 2010, he was promoted to Major General.
Major General Geder was awarded several decorations by the Ministry of Defence and foreign armed forces. The most important decorations include: the Gold Medal of General Maister with Swords, Silver and Bronze Medal of General Maister, a badge of the Manoeuvre Structure of National Protection Force (MSNZ), Bronze and Silver Medal of the Slovenian Armed Forces, a badge in commemoration of engagements in Gornja Radgona, the MSNZ Order Class 3, a Silver award presented by the Chief of the General Staff, Slovenian Armed Forces, Bronze Sword of the SAF Force Command, a Commemorative Cross of the Republic of Italy, and the Medal for Meritorious Service of the Slovak Republic.
He and his family live in Radenci.