It enjoys diplomatic privileges under the umbrella of the Belgian Embassy.
The Mission supports the expansion of the NATO-Russia dialogue by conducting liaison between NATO's Military Committee in Brussels and the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation.
What is its authority, tasks and responsibilities?
The Mission’s mandate is to support NATO-Russia dialogue and cooperation by:
- liaising with the Russian Ministry of Defence on issues covered by the NATO-Russia Council Programmes and in the NRC Military Cooperation Work-Plans;
- assisting the NATO Information Office in Moscow to explain Alliance policy to the Russian public and other audiences;
- and helping to facilitate the implementation of all NRC decisions, as appropriate.
At present the Mission is composed of 13 staff members, including one civilian. It is headed by Rear Admiral Geir Osen of Norway.
How does it work in practice?
The Mission’s main point of contact is the Directorate of International Treaties in the Russian Ministry of Defence.
In addition, the Mission maintains regular contacts with the Ministry’s Directorate for International Relations for VIP visits, the Main Operational Directorate of the Russian General Staff for interoperability programmes and the Russian Main Navy Staff for naval activities.
The Mission liaises on issues covered by the NATO-Russia Council Programmes and in the NRC Military Cooperation Work-Plans.
- Fight against Terrorism
- Crisis Management
- Arms Control & Confidence Building Measures
- Theatre Missile Defence
- Search & Rescue at Sea
- Mil-to-Mil Cooperation and Defence Reform
- Civil Emergency Planning
- Cooperative Airspace Initiative
- New Threats and Challenges
NATO’s Military Liaison Mission (MLM) in Moscow
Mytnaya Street 3, 119049 Moscow, Russian Federation
tel.:+7 495 775 0272
fax: +7 495 775 0280