In 1949, Allied countries estblished NATO's first Headquarters in London, UK, at 13 Belgrave Square.
As NATO's structure developed and more space was needed, its Headquarters moved to central Paris in April 1952. At first it was temporarily housed at the Palais de Chaillot, but moved to a more permanent home in Porte Dauphine in 1960.
In 1966, however, France decided to withdraw from NATO's military structure, which called for another move – this time to Brussels in 1967.
These facilities, however, are no longer adequate in view of the Alliance’s enlargement and transformation. As such, in 1999, NATO heads of State and government agreed to construct a new headquarters to meet the requirements of the Alliance in the 21st century.
In November 2002, at a signing ceremony held during the Prague Summit, the Belgian Government transferred to NATO concessionary rights for the construction of the new buildings, opposite the present site.